Thursday, February 26, 2009

Pie, Cadence, and Manipulation

Lindsay knows just how to manipulate me. She just sent me the above chart. It's a breakdown of my cycling cadence over the last two months. Honestly, I had no idea she had such capabilities. But since she knows I am motivated by numbers (and that I'm a huge dork), she sent it to me. It's hard to read, but all that is really important is that the green section represents the percentage of time that my cadence is 80-90 rpms, and the blue is the percentage of time that my cadence is 90-100 rpms. It would be much better if the green and the blue were reversed (i.e., I should be pedalling more often in the 90-100 range and less often in the 80-90 range).

This is really just Lindsay's way of telling me that I need to pedal a little faster. She knows me quite well by now, and knows that if she tells me to keep my cadence a little higher, I may or may not do it. But if she shows me a chart with a breakdown of my cadence, and tells me to make it look different, then like a monkey doing tricks for a banana, I will stop at nothing to make this chart look PERFECT!!

However, while Lindsay has taken into account my OCD in sharing this chart with me, I'm worried that she may not fully appreciate the extent of my obsessiveness. I'm now concerned that I am going to try to pedal at 60-70 cadence 75% of the time for the next 2 months. That way, the next time she sends me this chart, it will look more like this:

Maybe she should change 90-100 to yellow, just to be safe.

No comments:

Tweeting My Training (and other random thoughts)

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter