Monday, June 15, 2009

A Typical Monday

Monday is usually a rest day for me. I'm usually pretty tired by Monday morning. As most age-groupers can appreciate, the weekend is when I train the longest. Not always the hardest, but definitely the longest. So by Monday morning, I'm usually tired, sore, and ready to rest.

I have a routine that I have done almost every Monday for the past several years. At lunch, I pull up my previous week's schedule on my CTS personal page. I take this time to reflect on the week. I download my power files, update my training log from the weekend, and reflect on how everything went, how I'm feeling, what questions/concerns I have or expect Lindsay to have, etc.

Then, I put that week away. No matter how good/bad it went, it's over. What's done is done. Time to move on and prepare my mind for the week ahead.

So I click the "next" button and pull up my schedule for the current week. I look at all my workouts for the week, specifically picking out the key workouts that I know are the most important ones to focus on that particular week. These are often my weekend workouts, and reminding myself what's in store helps me get my head around what's to come. The workouts are written out with lots of detail. Time, intensity, intervals, rest intervals, power, etc. There's even a section for coach's comments where Lindsay will fill in any details that might not be apparent from the listed workout. It's very descriptive, and I like it that way.

I like routines. There are almost never surprises when I check my weekly schedule. Monday at lunch is never the first time I've seen what's on tap for that particular week. But some Mondays the schedule looks a little different than usual. And some Mondays it puts a knot in my stomach that doesn't go away for hours.

Today was one of those Mondays.

Today, I put in my comments from the past weekend: ". . . went a little faster on this run than you wanted me to, but I felt fine afterwards. . . . Felt good on the bike today . . . . the heat index today was over 100 and I didn't get on my bike until after noon . . . . " Then I turned my focus to this week.

Immediately, I noticed Sunday. The only thing it says is: "Race-Ironman." No intervals. No prescribed workout duration. No coach's comments. Just "Race-Ironman." Not much else to say about that.

There's nothing else physically I can do to prepare for Sunday. But I have six more days to get prepared mentally. Time to get my head in the game.

1 comment:

Ryan said...

I sort of know the feeling. Rely on your training, and convince yourself that you will not give in. Remember your goals. Rely on your training.

NOW IF YOU ARE GOING TO WIN ANY BATTLE YOU HAVE TO DO ONE THING. YOU HAVE TO MAKE THE MIND RUN THE BODY. NEVER LET THE BODY TELL THE MIND WHAT TO DO. THE BODY WILL ALWAYS GIVE UP. IT IS ALWAY TIRED MORNING, NOON, AND NIGHT. BUT TEH BODY IS NEVER TIRED IF THE MIND IS NOT TIRED. WHEN YOU WERE YOUNGER THE MIND COULD MAKE YOU DANCE ALL NIGHT, AND THE BODY WAS NEVER TIRED...YOU'VE ALWAYS GOT TO MAKE THE MIND TAKE OVER AND KEEP GOING." --GENERAL GEORGE S. PATTON (1912 OLYMPIAN)

Race like you belong Barry - you do.

Tweeting My Training (and other random thoughts)

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter